I was able to make VPP recognize my network interfaces, despite the fact
that my processor is an older AMD and is missing SSSE3, SSE4.1, and SSE4.2.
So FYI if anybody who owns an older AMD processor comes along, here is what
I did:

0. When upgrading from an even older processor, use thermal paste. I have
yet to do this, and my ears are killing me -- especially after I start
running VPP.

1. Download DPDK source. This is not a great idea, but I need to modify
DPDK code, and due to my limited familiarity with DPDK build within VPP, my
changes were getting overwritten while developing them. So I took the easy
way out and simply used a separate DPDK git repo, so I am missing VPP
goodies.

2. in dpdk/config/common_base, change the following options from =y to =n:

CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_IXGBE_PMD
CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_FM10K_PMD
CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_VIRTIO_PMD
CONFIG_RTE_APP_TEST
CONFIG_RTE_TEST_PMD

I am working with four physical 1Gbps intel e1000 interfaces, so I can get
away with this.
Once you have these changes, you can "make config
T=x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc"

3. cd ~/dpdk/lib/librte_eal/common/include/arch/x86 and edit rte_memcpy.h.
Go to the definition of rte_memcpy_generic() nearest the bottom of the file
(might be known as rte_memcpy() in older DPDK). Comment out the
declarations of xmm0 through xmm8.
4. Redefine macro MOVEUNALIGNED_LEFT47(dst, src, len, offset) as
(memcpy(dst, src, len)) AND comment out the original definition. [Extra
credit: figure out how to use AMD SSE4.a instructions for higher
performance, or whether that even makes any sense.]

5. cd ~/dpdk; make  EXTRA_CFLAGS=-fPIC  -jYOURCHOICE
The EXTRA_CFLAGS is necessary so that the libraries will link with libvnet.

6. sudo make install

7. cd ~/vpp

8. edit build-data/packages/vpp.mk
Precede -I/usr/include with -I/usr/local/include in part of the definition
of vpp_CPPFLAGS. This is because I did a default install of dpdk which goes
into /usr/local rather than /usr.
9. edit build-data/platforms/vpp.mk
For x86_64, change vpp_march from corei7 to native and remove vpp_mtune.
And remove the -mtune option from vpp_TAG_CFLAGS and vpp_TAG_LDFLAGS

10. I think this is all you need before "make build-release". When that is
complete, you should be able to use the programs in
build-root/install-vpp-native/vpp/bin.

11. Next step is for me to connect an ethernet cable between one of the
ports of my new 4 port intel adapter to a laptop with static IPs and see if
I can ping. Everything preceding that in
https://wiki.fd.io/view/VPP/How_To_Connect_A_PCI_Interface_To_VPP works
great.

12. I'll probably get an intel based desktop in the near future.

Burt