Hi folks,

I have a few questions about the sw_interface_set_l2_bridge API message.
Now, some people have called me a "pedantic ass", to my face even,
so I can handle that.  :-)  And I wouldn't want to disappoint, so here we
go...

>From commit 374e2c5fc30a5bfabfd2eb6c2d3ca5797402af16, line 640
of src/vpp/api/vpe.api:

   640  /** \brief Interface bridge mode request
   641      @param client_index - opaque cookie to identify the sender
   642      @param context - sender context, to match reply w/ request
   643      @param rx_sw_if_index - the interface
   644      @param bd_id - bridge domain id
   645      @param bvi - Setup interface as a bvi, bridge mode only
   646      @param shg - Shared horizon group, for bridge mode only
   647      @param enable - Enable beige mode if not 0, else set to L3 mode
   648  */
   649  define sw_interface_set_l2_bridge
   650  {
   651    u32 client_index;
   652    u32 context;
   653    u32 rx_sw_if_index;
   654    u32 bd_id;
   655    u8 shg;
   656    u8 bvi;
   657    u8 enable;
   658  };

I want to pick on the "u8 enable" field.  First, the easy one: Line 647 has
a typo for "bridge", right?  OK, good.  But let's talk about
"enable/disable"
versus "add/del".   Is this really an enable/disable flag?  So once "added"
to the interface at rx_sw_if_index, there is no removing it?  Or did
"disable"
really remove it?  Many of the other API calls have an "is_add" field.  Is
there
really no way to remove it once added?

How is one expected to change a flag on this bridge?  For example, to
change the BVI from "false" to "true" after it has been established,
("enabled",
right?) does one just re-issue the same API call again with the new bvi
"true"
value?  Or should the bridge be "disabled", flag changed, and then
re-"enabled"?
Or even the interface shutdown, changed, and then brought back up?

Thanks,
jdl