The vHost examples on the Wiki used the feature-mask of 0xFF. I think that
is how it got propagated. In 16.09 when I did the CLI documentation for the
vHost, I expanded what the bits meant and used feature-mask 0x40400000 as
the example. I will gladly add an additional comment indicating that the
recommended use is to leave blank if this was intended to be debug.

https://docs.fd.io/vpp/17.07/clicmd_src_vnet_devices_virtio.html

Billy

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 4:17 PM, Damjan Marion (damarion) <
damar...@cisco.com> wrote:

> Eric,
>
> long time ago ( i think 3+ years) when I wrote original vhost-user driver
> in vpp,
> I added feature-mask knob to cli which messes up with feature bitmap
> purely for debugging
> reasons.
>
> And I regret many times…
>
> Somebody dig it out and documented it somewhere, for to me unknown reasons.
> Now it spreads like a virus and I cannot stop it :)
>
> So please don’t use it, it is evil….
>
> Thanks,
>
> Damjan
>
> > On 20 Apr 2017, at 20:49, Ernst, Eric <eric.er...@intel.com> wrote:
> >
> > All,
> >
> > After updating the startup.conf to not reference DPDK, per direction in
> release
> > notification thread, I was able to startup vpp and create interfaces.
> >
> > Now that I'm testing, I noticed that I can no longer ping between VM
> hosts which
> > make use of vhost-user interfaces and are connected via l2 bridge domain
> > (nor l2 xconnect).  I double checked, then reverted back to 17.01, where
> I could
> > again verify connectivity between the guests.
> >
> > Any else seeing this, or was there a change in how this should be set
> up?  For
> > reference, I have my (simple) setup described @ a gist at [1].
> >
> > Thanks,
> > eric