Think of pip (used by virtualenv) like apt-get.  Python maintainers
are innocent in this case. When adding the virtualenv feature to test
framework, it never occured to me that somebody might be doing vpp development
on an offline machine. Laptop which was online and later went offline doesn't
count, because virtualenv uses cached versions for subsequent installations
afaik.

If this is a requirement, we'll need to think of a way to ship the python
packages which virtualenv requires - e.g. setuptools - ourselves.
But if we do that, we also need to have all the other packages which the
test framework uses (e.g. scapy) somewhere in-tree(?).

The packages currently used by test framework (apart from the implicit
requirements) are:

scapy==2.3.3 pexpect subprocess32 cffi
git+https://github.com/klement/py-lispnetworking@setup

the last one is a fork of py-lispnetworking, which is used by some LISP
tests. I forked it and added an installation script, which was missing
in the original repo so that we can install it in the same way as other
packages.

I have a strong feeling that this isn't something which we want to do...

Klement

Quoting Luke, Chris (2017-08-08 16:31:31)