Sure, I know what pip is.

My contention is that virtualenv should not be going to the network; in the old
days it would dip into the system packages for anything the base venv needed.
It's a really poor and insecure assumption that unfettered internet access is
universally available. In this case, I suspect wherever the job runs needs an
HTTP proxy to fit that assumption.

So either pre-stage the packages you need, and tell pip where to find them, or
provide a proxy. :)

Chris.