To test, do we need to change anything else with our setup, like remove
80-vpp.conf?

If I have HugePages_Total set to 8192 via grub, and 80-vpp.conf is set to
the default of 1024, my system should stay at 8192 (provided there is
enough free hugepages), correct?

Thanks,
Billy

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 6:30 AM, Damjan Marion (damarion) <damar...@cisco.com
> wrote:

> Dear vpp-devers,
>
> As I mentioned on the last community call, there is patch which
> significantly changes
> the way how VPP is allocating wired memory, including the dpdk hugepages.
>
> Patch is available here and it is passing verify jobs:
>
> https://gerrit.fd.io/r/#/c/7701/
>
> With this change, VPP is able dynamically pre-allocate hugepages, if they
> are not already available.
>
> This change is affecting DPDK buffer mempools, as now they are allocated
> by VPP, and not directly by DPDK.
> I use dpdk rte_mempool_xmem_create (...) to pass allocated wired memory
> region to dpdk.
>
> Result is smaller memory footprint, mainly thanks to the better control of
> memory allocation we have.
> DPDK is still allocating 64M/socket for it’s internal data structures and
> VPP allocates 40MB/socket for
> our default number of buffers (16K). In case people want more buffers, it
> is enough to increase num_mbufs parameter
> and VPP will increase size of mempool automatically, which is significant
> improvement as currently people need to play
> with socket-mem parameter.
>
> In total, footprint is reduced from 256M/socket to 104M/socket.
>
> At the moment, code only deals with 2M pages, support for 1G pages for
> extreme VPP consumers will be added in the separate patch.
>
> I will really appreciate if people can try this patch and report
> success/failure. It important that we test it in different
> configurations before it is merged.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Damjan

*Billy McFall*