The "proper" CLI is "show node counters" which displays stats kept by various
graph nodes including normal operation counts and possibly error counts. The
CLI "sho err" is historical and was kept for backward compatibilities. The old
CLI is somewhat misleading but is quicker to type then the proper one.   -John

From: vpp-dev-boun...@lists.fd.io [mailto:vpp-dev-boun...@lists.fd.io] On
Behalf Of Saxena, Nitin
Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2017 10:52 AM
To: Damjan Marion <dmarion.li...@gmail.com>
Cc: Athreya, Narayana Prasad <narayanaprasad.athr...@cavium.com>;
vpp-dev@lists.fd.io
Subject: Re: [vpp-dev] [vpp-v17.10] L2 forwarding errors in vhost-user
configuration

Thanks for the clarification Damjan

-Nitin

________________________________
From: Damjan Marion <dmarion.li...@gmail.com<mailto:dmarion.li...@gmail.com>>
Sent: Wednesday, October 4, 2017 3:37 PM
To: Saxena, Nitin
Cc: vpp-dev@lists.fd.io<mailto:vpp-dev@lists.fd.io>; Steven Luong (sluong);
Athreya, Narayana Prasad
configuration

On 3 Oct 2017, at 17:32, Saxena, Nitin
<nitin.sax...@cavium.com<mailto:nitin.sax...@cavium.com>> wrote:

Hi,

While running ping between VM1 to VM2 on aarch64, configured using vhost-user
interface, I am seeing following L2 errors in VPP v1710 for each ICMP packet
sent

--------------------------------
DBGvpp# show err
   Count                    Node                  Reason
      1096                l2-output               L2 output packets
      1096                l2-learn                L2 learn packets
         2                l2-learn                L2 learn misses
        36                l2-learn                L2 learn hit updates
      1096                l2-input                L2 input packets
        35                l2-flood                L2 flood packets
         8         VirtualEthernet0/0/0-tx        tx packet drops (no available
descriptors)
DBGvpp# sh int
              Name               Idx       State          Counter          Count
VirtualEthernet0/0/0              1         up       rx packets
  552
                                                     rx bytes
52876
                                                     tx packets
  552
                                                     tx bytes
52876
                                                     drops
    8
VirtualEthernet0/0/1              2         up       rx packets
  552
                                                     rx bytes
52876
                                                     tx packets
  552
                                                     tx bytes
52876
local0                            0        down
DBGvpp# show version
vpp v17.10-rc1~4-gbd70c2f built by nsaxena on sbr2s-10 at Tue Oct  3 08:16:41
UTC 2017

Are these errors are false alarm ? While ping is working fine between two VM's
these errors are raising false alarms to me. Seems like a problem to me. If
something to be fixed I can contribute to fix these errors.

Those counters are simply counting packets in the l2fib. You will get same
output if  you do "show counters".
nothing to worry about. Still I agree that this is confusing and that we might
consider separating error counters from the normal ones...