Hi folks,

I was just wondering how I could build my own plugin without rebuilding
everything from scratch in vpp ? I mean, here are two ways I found to build a
plugin:
- First technique (long, rebuilds everything):
https://docs.fd.io/vpp/17.07/sample_plugin_doc.html
- Second technique (fast, only builds what needs to be, "sample-plugin"
specific): https://wiki.fd.io/view/VPP/Tutorial_DPDK_and_MacSwap#Compilation

What's the difference between the two ? Is one of the two obsolete, not
appropriate in that case ? I just don't get it, as it looks like there are two
different notions of plugins.

I don't like the first one because it rebuilds everything and it takes ages.

I'd like to use the second one, if possible. For that, I've added a file called
"myown-plugin.mk" in "build-data/packages" with equivalent (but modified for
that specific case) content as "sample-plugin.mk". Anyway, it doesn't work when
running "make V=0 PLATFORM=vpp TAG=vpp myown-plugin-install", as I receive
everytime an error. It says that it can't find "myown-plugin" source in "/vpp".
Which is weird because I've exactly the same "myown" files (everywhere) as
"sample-plugin".

What am I missing here ? Thanks !

Justin