Prabhjot,

To use the dpdk vhost-user, you have to specify each virtual interface in the
startup.conf file, something like this.

dpdk {
  no-pci
  file-prefix virtio_user_
  vdev virtio_user0,path=/tmp/sock0,mac=52:54:00:00:04:01
}

You would see VirtioUser instead of VirtualEthernet in the show interface
output. VirtualEthernet is displayed if you are using vpp native vhost-user.
DBGvpp# sh int
sh int
              Name               Idx       State          Counter          Count
VirtioUser0/0/0                   1         up
local0                            0        down
DBGvpp#

The problem with using dpdk vhost-user is static binding. Every virtual
interface has to be specified in startup.conf prior to bringing up VPP. If you
add another interface in the startup.conf file, you have to restart VPP.
If you do want to try it out for fun, I remember I need to allocate 1G
hugepages instead of 2M hugepages in order to get dpdk vhost-user or dpdk
virtio driver up. I don’t remember the former or the latter really requires 1G
hugepages. It took me a while to figure that part out.

Steven