Hi, I’m new to this thread.  Short introduction, watched most of the videos
from you session in France, thanks for making that available!.   I’m based in
San Jose, CA.  I have a multi-layer switch that is ported from an embedded
system to x86.  It has a fully functional control plane and does a vast number
of functions, from L2 provider bridging to L3 routing protocols and IP/MPLS,
better said it is a PE.  On embedded platforms it programs network processors
for the forwarding plane.  For x86 it currently uses software interrupts for
ever packet in the data plane and I’m at the point now where it is time to
address the data plane.  Your project looks perfect for this, namely a fast
forwarding plane for x86.  I’m genuinely excited about this.

My plan is to use the C-API to program VPP as the forwarding plane, because the
control plane interface is all C.  Really just starting out, but one particular
situation is this control plane is currently 32bit (not 64bit safe and I
something I don’t want to tackle right now).  So I am building VPP 32bit to
establish the foundation.  I changed build-root/Makefile as:

# x86_64 can be either 32/64.  set BIACH=32 to get 32 bit libraries.
#BIARCH = 64
BIARCH = 32

Then rebuild with "make V=0 PLATFORM=vpp TAG=vpp32 install-deb”.  It runs into
the error below, because svm.o is getting generated as 64bit.  I’m on UBUNTU
16.04 and VPP 18.01.  While I sort this out I thought I’d ask if I’m on the
right track here planning to use VPP on x86 in 32bit mode?

Thanks!
Tom

  CCLD     libvppapiclient.la
/usr/bin/ld: ./.libs/libsvm.a(svm.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against
`.rodata.str1.1' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with
-fPIC
./.libs/libsvm.a(svm.o): error adding symbols: Bad value