Maybe you need to do some visual inspection during the build to check that
what you think is being built is indeed being built and linked. Possibly
you might

[V=1] make build-release > build.log 2>&1

and look in build.log.

Also manually examine timestamps on relevant files along with that. Until
you know for sure what works and what does not.

My build does not generate new kernel modules; I defer to someone who knows
more about this topic.

Burt