From: Ray Kinsella [mailto:m...@ashroe.eu]
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 12:06 PM
To: Peter Mikus -X (pmikus - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco)
<pmi...@cisco.com>; vpp-dev@lists.fd.io; yulong....@intel.com
Subject: Re: [vpp-dev] CSIT - sw_interface_set_flags admin-up link-up failing

Hi Peter,

It may be unrelated, but I think we see this issue also pretty regularly with
FD.io VPP 18.04 and the x520, on our local test rig.

The error we typically see is "VAT command sw_interface_set_flags sw_if_index 1
admin-up: no JSON data.VAT".

Do think it is the same or a separate issue?

Ray K

On 30/07/2018 08:02, Peter Mikus via Lists.Fd.Io wrote:
> Hello vpp-dev,
>
> I am looking for consultation. We started to test VPP for report on
> all LF CSIT testbeds Skylakes and Haswells.
>
> We are observing weird behavior. In each test we are using sequence to
> first bring the both interfaces (physical up) by VAT:
>
>        sw_interface_set_flags sw_if_index <idx> admin-up         (I
> also tried sw_interface_set_flags sw_if_index idx admin-up link-up)
>
> After setting all interfaces UP we are testing if interfaces are
> really UP by VAT (loop 30times, 1s between API call check):
> "sw_interface_dump".
>
> It wasn't an issue in past but recently we start seeing that
> sw_interface_dump is reporting interfaces as link_down (admin-up).
>
> Notes/symptoms:
>
> -Our sw_interface_dump check is running 30x (1s interval) in loop.
>
> -Link-down is random, sometimes both interfaces are link-up sometimes
> just one and sometimes both link are down.
>
> -_It is not TB related_, nor cabling related, we see it on
> Haswells-3node in like 1 out of 70 tests, Skylakes-2node 1 out of 70,
> but on Skylake-3node more than half of the tests.
>
> -Checking state during test reveals that interfaces are link-down
> (show
> int) so "sw_interface_dump" is reporting state correctly.
>
> -Doing CLI during test "set interface state . up" does bring
> interfaces UP -> (but it is hard to check the timing here).
>
> -Affected are mostly x520 and x710, but that is most probably because
> of statistics (low coverage of other NICs like xxv710 and xl710).
>
> -We have seen this in master vpp as well as rc2 vpp.
>
> -It is not clear when this starts to happen, so bisecting would take
> lot of time.
>
> -This was spotted on VIRL as well also on Memif interface which bring
> us to suspicious that this is related to API not HW.
>
> Do you have an idea what we could check further? VPP is not crashing
> so no core dump are available. This issue is not 100% replicable which
> makes it hard to debug.
>
> Is there a way to get more verbose error from the api call mentioned
> to reveal more information?
>
> **
>
> Thank you.
>
> *Peter Mikus*
> Engineer - Software
>
> *Cisco Systems Limited*
>
> http://www.cisco.com/web/europe/images/email/signature/logo05.jpg
>
> Think before you print.
>
> This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the
> sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or
> disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the
> intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient),
> please contact the sender by reply email and delete all copies of this
> message.
>
> For corporate legal information go to:
> http://www.cisco.com/web/about/doing_business/legal/cri/index.html

  • ... Peter Mikus via Lists.Fd.Io
    • ... Dave Barach via Lists.Fd.Io
    • ... Ray Kinsella
      • ... Peter Mikus via Lists.Fd.Io
        • ... Vratko Polak -X (vrpolak - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco) via Lists.Fd.Io
          • ... Pei, Yulong