I have been working with the netlink and router plugins, which I was able
to build from the 18.07 tree via the instructions in vppsb/router.

(NB: trying to build from anything more recent, e.g. 18.10 or 19.01 breaks,
with no obvious easy resolution).

When running with these plugins, connected with an open source router (bird
version 1.6.4 or 2.02) and with a very small routing table, it works really
really well.

(I was able to run roughly line-rate 10g even with small packets, and when
using a second host with vpp and the span->pg->pcap to /tmp, didn't lose
any data.)

However, when trying to load up the routing table, things went sideways,
and it seems to be something netlink-related.(This was using BGP to feed in
3 copies of the full routing table, each copy of which is about 750K
routes.)

I was hoping someone could provide good instructions (good == tested and
works) on building from a more recent release of VPP to see if it's an
issue that has been fixed.

If the issue persists and/or looks to be netlink-specific, would anyone be
able to look into it? I'm happy to provide logs etc.

System is bare metal centos7.5, tons of cores, memory, etc.

The first few messages in syslog look like:

Nov 27 17:57:30 sj2tldnslab09 bird: Kernel dropped some netlink messages,
will resync on next scan.

Nov 27 17:57:30 sj2tldnslab09 vnet[127960]: rtnl_process_read:467:
rtnetlink recv error (27) []: No buffer space available

Nov 27 17:57:30 sj2tldnslab09 vnet[127960]: rtnl_process_read:467:
rtnetlink recv error (27) []: No buffer space available

After a bunch of similar groups of messages, VPP appears to crash.

If this is a known problem or if there's something that needs to be tweaked
on the host, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Brian