Hi Brian,
On Mon, 2018-12-17 at 20:19 -0800, Brian Dickson wrote:
> Hi, VPP folks,
> I am trying to add in support for a new card/driver.
>
> The info on the DPDK website says the drivers I have should work fine.
>
> Thus, the only issue is adding in the correct manufacturer/device IDs into the
> init.c file:
>

> src/plugins/dpdk/device/init.c
>
> I edit the file (one-line change), put it back into the .tar.xz file, put it
> where it should be being picked up (in build-root or so I believe), and it
> gets blown away.
>

> It always seems to want to pull everything from git regardless of the presence
> of the right tar.xz file in build-root, pointed to by the vpp-latest symbolic
> link.
>

> I am using "make pkg-rpm" as the command to rebuild things from the main vpp
> source root (parent of build-root).
>

> What am I doing wrong?
>

> Where should I be rebuilding this?
If it's something that small I would suggest to follow the same approach used
today: add a patch to the VPP repo to patch DPDK tarball after it has been
downloaded.See under "/build/external/patches/" there are various sub-folders
for the different DPDK versions.The file build/external/packages.mk already
takes care of navigating the various directories to apply the patch files so
it's a matter of having the new patch in the directory as mentioned above.Now, I
am not sure whether your patch is already on its ways to DPDK upstream but it
would be really a good idea to do that.
> What command should I use?
> Or what make target?
> In what directory?
I suppose all the three questions above are answered in the 1st point.
> Thanks in advance.
>

> Brian
Best,Marco