From: siddarth rai <sid...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2020 2:06 AM
To: Dave Barach (dbarach) <dbar...@cisco.com>
Cc: vpp-dev <vpp-dev@lists.fd.io>
Subject: Re: [vpp-dev] VPP main threads gets stuck when system time is changed

Hi Dave,

I understand a lot of things have changed in between 1801 and latest release.
But based on the pstack we were seeing, I went ahead and cherry picked a small
change from latest in file
 vlib/threads.c in function 'vlib_worker_thread_barrier_sync_int'

I replaced this --  while ((now = vlib_time_now (vm)) <
vm->barrier_no_close_before);

with this block

      while (1)
        {
          now = vlib_time_now (vm);
          /* Barrier hold-down timer expired? */
          if (now >= vm->barrier_no_close_before)
            break;
          if ((vm->barrier_no_close_before - now)
              > (2.0 * BARRIER_MINIMUM_OPEN_LIMIT))
            {
              clib_warning
                ("clock change: would have waited for %.4f seconds",
                 (vm->barrier_no_close_before - now));
              break;
            }
        }

This seems to resolve some of the problems. The vapi client doesn't get
disconnected any more. The CLI also keeps working, so main thread is not stuck
anymore when the system time is changed. I do see the above clib warning also.

However, the main thread keeps running at 100% CPU utilization for the time
reported by the clib warning.
I see that the throughput goes way down and the workers are kind of
under-performing
This under-performance of workers again happens for the same period of time as
printed in this log -"clock change: would have waited for xxx seconds". After
this period, the system returns to normal.

I was wondering if I could pickup something else to get this right ?

Regards,
Siddarth

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 9:57 PM Dave Barach (dbarach)