From: otr...@employees.org <otr...@employees.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2020 1:39 PM
To: Vivek Gupta <viv...@benisontech.com>
Cc: kusumanjal...@gmail.com; Florin Coras <fcoras.li...@gmail.com>;
vpp-dev@lists.fd.io
Subject: Re: [vpp-dev] Query about internal apps

Hi Vivek,

> We are trying to achieve the mechanism, something similar to TAP interface,
> in VPP.
>
> So, the packets coming out of the TAP interface, will be directed directly to
> the application. The application will receive the packets, coming via TAP
> interface, process them and send it down via the Host stack.
>
> Possible options, we could think of are:-
> - Enhance the session layer to provide a L2 transport mechanism and add nodes
> like tap-input and tap-out which would achieve the same.
> - Use the existing session layer by doing a IP/UDP encap and send it to the
> APP, via session layer and use existing mechanism.
>   This introduces an overhead of additional encap/decap.
>
> We wanted to check if there is any alternate option to directly transfer the
> packets from the plugin to the VPP App, without even involving the session
> layer and have no additional overhead encap/decap,

Is this similar to the idea of routing directly to the application?
I.e. give each application an IP address (easier with IPv6), and the
application itself links in whatever transport layer it needs. In a VPP context
the application could sit behind a memif interface. The application would need
some support for IP address assignment, ARP/ND etc.
Userland networking taken to the extreme. ;-)
Vivek> It is similar to that. We need the application to define it's own
routing and packet processing.
Best regards,
Ole