From: vpp-dev@lists.fd.io <vpp-dev@lists.fd.io> On Behalf Of Laurent Dumont
Sent: Thursday, May 14, 2020 10:25 PM
To: vpp-dev@lists.fd.io
Subject: [vpp-dev] VPP - DPDK - No ARP learning on VPP and no ARP reply sent.

Hi!

I was doing some initial experimentation with VPP/SRIOV/DPDK and I just wanted
to see if some of the things I was experiencing we're expected. I was looking
at understanding the baseline behavior for something like VPP + DPDK.

I have a small test POC with the following topology.

VM Ubuntu 18.04( with the "linux-image-extra-virtual" package) --->  (VPP +
DPDK + IP address on the VPP interface) ---> VF ---> PF (compute with SRIOV on
X710 cards) ---> TOR interface - untagged.

What I am seeing :

  1.  VPP is telling me I have both RX and TX packets.
  2.  That said, no ARP entry for the TOR is seen on VPP
  3.  The interface on the TOR is also not seeing any ARP entry for the VPP
interface. The TOR is also indicating that RX and TX packets are present.
Are there any inherent limitations to the ARP with VPP/DPDK?

One weird thing is that trying to show the ARP from VPP doesn't seem to be a
valid command :
vpp# sh ip arp
show ip: unknown input `arp'

Here are some more debugging output.

vpp# show version
vpp v20.01-release built by root on 980ae64453f3 at 2020-01-29T22:13:47

vpp# show int address
VirtualFunctionEthernet0/5/0 (up):
  L3 1.2.3.4/31<http://1.2.3.4/31>

vpp# show hardware-interfaces
              Name                Idx   Link  Hardware
VirtualFunctionEthernet0/5/0       1     up   VirtualFunctionEthernet0/5/0
  Link speed: 10 Gbps
  Ethernet address fa:16:3e:92:30:f1
  Intel X710/XL710 Family VF
    carrier up full duplex mtu 9206
    flags: admin-up pmd maybe-multiseg tx-offload intel-phdr-cksum rx-ip4-cksum
    Devargs:
    rx: queues 1 (max 16), desc 1024 (min 64 max 4096 align 32)
    tx: queues 1 (max 16), desc 1024 (min 64 max 4096 align 32)
    pci: device 8086:154c subsystem 103c:0000 address 0000:00:05.00 numa 0
    max rx packet len: 9728
    promiscuous: unicast off all-multicast on
    vlan offload: strip off filter off qinq off
    rx offload avail:  vlan-strip ipv4-cksum udp-cksum tcp-cksum qinq-strip
                       outer-ipv4-cksum vlan-filter jumbo-frame scatter
    rx offload active: ipv4-cksum jumbo-frame scatter
    tx offload avail:  vlan-insert ipv4-cksum udp-cksum tcp-cksum sctp-cksum
                       tcp-tso outer-ipv4-cksum qinq-insert vxlan-tnl-tso
                       gre-tnl-tso ipip-tnl-tso geneve-tnl-tso multi-segs
    tx offload active: udp-cksum tcp-cksum multi-segs
    rss avail:         ipv4-frag ipv4-tcp ipv4-udp ipv4-sctp ipv4-other
ipv6-frag
                       ipv6-tcp ipv6-udp ipv6-sctp ipv6-other l2-payload
    rss active:        none
    tx burst function: i40e_xmit_pkts
    rx burst function: i40e_recv_scattered_pkts_vec_avx2

    tx frames ok                                          36
    tx bytes ok                                         1512
    rx frames ok                                          26
    rx bytes ok                                         3014
    extended stats:
      rx good packets                                     26
      tx good packets                                     36
      rx good bytes                                     3014
      tx good bytes                                     1512
      rx bytes                                          3014
      rx broadcast packets                                26
      tx bytes                                          1512
      tx broadcast packets                                36
local0                             0    down  local0
  Link speed: unknown
  local

vpp# show interface
              Name               Idx    State  MTU (L3/IP4/IP6/MPLS)
Counter          Count
VirtualFunctionEthernet0/5/0      1      up          9000/0/0/0     rx packets
                  26
                                                                    rx bytes
                2910
                                                                    tx packets
                  36
                                                                    tx bytes
                1512
                                                                    drops
                  14
                                                                    ip4
                  25
local0                            0     down          0/0/0/0       drops
                  25
vpp#

RP/0/RP0/CPU0:tor-4.qa-site1#show run int tenGigE 0/0/0/37
Fri May 15 02:22:57.640 UTC
interface TenGigE0/0/0/37
 mtu 9216
 ipv4 address 1.2.3.5 255.255.255.252