If I read you correctly, this bug went unnoticed, but has never seen an LTS
release. LTS might be the only release people are actually developing products
with. :)

I also sent some mail about brokenness in the auto-generated endian functions.
I noticed this while I was investigating a post 19.08 change that actually made
the u8 declared enums be __packed__ (vs just being uint anyway), which was then
breaking my endian conversion code.

FWIW These changes w/ breakages that had to be RCAd and fixed were frustrating
b/c they seemed like "cleanup" going on in the API w/o enough support from the
API infrastructure to avoid user pain downstream. Why did we need any of these
cleanup changes? It would be one thing if the cleanup was done at zero cost to
the users (i.e., transparently handled by the API infrastructure), but that's
not the case.

So with that in mind (and understanding I'm only interested in LTS releases :)
my vote is:

- Back out the u8 change
- Leave the u32 fix.

More importantly:

1) Stop making enum u32->u8 changes until this can be handled better by the API
infrastructure.
2) Improve the API infrastructure before making anymore of these enum (or any
field) size changes.

To accomplish 2) the generated API functions which try to do the endian
conversion, should be fixed, and more importantly the whole thing needs to be
made usable by providing non-callback functionality for the synchronous calls.

When all that is done then people can actually use the generated API function
calls, the endian stuff won't be being done by hand then, so the size changes
will be handled automatically.

Thanks,
Chris.