Hi Keith,

Yes.  The build assumes that vppapigen runs in the global python
environment such as if in a fresh container.

It is the same issue we have with generating vpp papi packages.  It
installs into the global environment and people have no option to pip
install it without downloading the sources and doing a pip install -e
<path>.  There is a vpp_papi package on pypi, but it hasn't been updated in
almost 2 years.

To fix the issue properly, vppapigen should become a python package
encapsulating its dependency on ply, so that it works independent of the
python version/location.

The same holds true of the test framework.

Paul