I noticed that it was the "patch" version number that changed. Semver claims
the patch number indicates backwards compatible changes -- not sure how VPP API
is using the "patch" number though. So when I resolved the conflict locally
after cherry picking I just changed 3.1.1 to 3.1.2 to keep the spirit of the
change. Reverting the version change upstream is another solution too, if that
helps with the API crc/signature stuff. I don't fully comprehended the VPP API
versioning, so better someone else makes that call.

Thanks,
Chris.