> On Aug 17, 2020, at 10:52 AM, Benoit Ganne (bganne) via lists.fd.io
> <bganne=cisco....@lists.fd.io> wrote:
>
> Hi Christian,
>
> I am CC'ing csit-dev but here are some elements.
>
> AFAIK, CSIT results are not trustworthy for Mellanox NIC yet unfortunately:
> T-Rex suffers from "stretch duration" when using Mellanox NIC to inject
> traffic.
> Here is my understanding of what this means: when asked to send at X packets
> in Y seconds (hence at a rate of X/Y pps), T-Rex effectively takes Y + Z
> seconds. CSIT figures are based on the programmed rate (X/Y) and not the real
> rate (X/(Y+Z)).
> In a nutshell: we are not really sure where we're at with Mellanox card in
> CSIT.

This is very interesting. I believe I am seeing this stretch from trex as well;
however, it happens with i710 as well as a cx5 cards in the trex tester.

Basically I tell trex to start then after the expected amount of time (for
which I'm doing other sampling) I tell the trex client to wait for traffic to
complete. I would expect this to return immediately as I've been timing things.
Instead it is taking longer (perhaps much longer) depending on how high the
rate was that I tried to send.

  c.start(ports=check_ports, mult=mult, duration=duration)
  [wait duration seconds doing sampling]
  c.wait_on_traffic(rx_delay_ms=100)

Thanks,
Chris.