On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 08:06 AM, Benoit Ganne (bganne) wrote:

> I am trying to report the hardware interface queue depth.

As in, TX interface FIFO/Queue occupancy.

> You can use vnet_get_sup_hw_interface() for this, however HW queues are
> managed differently by each driver.

There is "easy" way in determining the amount of entries remaining in a TX/RX
queue? My current setup is launching 3 VPP instances in a single VM, no DPDK
yet.  The idea is to eventually use DPDK.  We would like to know how occupied
are the TX and RX queues.  I've been digging into the code by looking into the
nodes the packet traverses.  For the current setup, af-packet-input is the
first node (according to the 'show trace').   I'm seeing that this node has
both a 'tx_ring' and 'rx_ring' pointers, but they only seem to be used for the
ethernet-input node.  It doesn't seem to be using them other than for
configuration.