Hi Marcos.

Yes. Your assumption is correct. A library user expects access to the
library.

I'm going to ask the question that you haven't.

Why won't Ole, as maintainer, allow it?

The build system uses something called vppapigen to generate the c include
files and the json files.  It could as easily generate static stubs so that
development with python could be usable without a running vpp instance.

The thing is that there are other trivial issues that need to be addressed
first.

Wouldn't you love to be able to do 'pip install vpp_papi' and get going?
Yes, vpp builds artifacts for vpp_api_python, but who actually wants
vpp_api installed globally?  The python best practice is to install a venv,
and do pip install.
Even 'make test' follows this pattern.

vpp_papi has changed significantly, yet the version number is never, ever
increased.

To address this, on April 5, 2019, I attempted to automate versioning of
vpp_papi to the git tag.  https://gerrit.fd.io/r/c/vpp/+/18694.

There is a version on pypi, it is woefully out of date, and honestly not
usable.  On June 18, 2019, I contributed
https://gerrit.fd.io/r/c/vpp/+/20035, to automate the process of updating
pypi, with a simple command 'tox -epypi' see:src/vpp-api/python/tox.ini

I have also floated the idea of moving vpp_papi to a submodule, so that it
could be easily developed against if pypi were too burdensome to add to the
release process.  Just include the submodule in your code, pin it to any
commit you like, and you're off to the races!

To be 100% clear, this is not an attack on Ole.  I have nothing but respect
for him.  He is extremely talented and has been *extremely* generous with
his time to me.  As for me, as anyone here can tell you, I'm not a C
programmer.  The only reason, I ever considered touching the c code, was
because of Ole's help and guidance and his suggestion to fix the API
instead of conforming the test.

He/Vratko removed me as one of the maintainers of papi.
https://gerrit.fd.io/r/c/vpp/+/22672.  I'm cool with not being a
maintainer, kinda funny that it was stuffed into another changeset.  I have
been called out repeatedly for submitting unrelated changes ;)

All my changesets are still out there, so that should others become
blocked, they can still get work done.  'git-review -X 12345' is your
friend. (If you use -X instead of -x, you can remove the changeset with
'git rebase -i' if you want to submit a contribution)

In that spirit, if you want a python module with static methods, let me
know.

Paul

On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 10:57 AM Vratko Polak -X (vrpolak - PANTHEON
TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco) <vrpo...@cisco.com> wrote:

> > All available api are represented in python.
>

> That is one part of it.
>
> Not every "available" message is useable,
>
> as some messages need corresponding VPP plugins,
>
> which may be disabled.
>

> >> all available Python modules to use in VPP API.
>

> It depends on what do you mean by "Python module".
>
> If you mean "usable messages",
>
> you can examine the message table [0]
>
> after PAPI has connected to a running VPP.
>

> Vratko.
>

> [0]
> https://github.com/FDio/vpp/blob/66d10589f412d11841c4c8adc0a498b5527e88cb/src/vpp-api/python/vpp_papi/vpp_papi.py#L834-L836

  • ... Marcos - Mgiga
    • ... Ole Troan
      • ... Vratko Polak -X (vrpolak - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco)
        • ... Paul Vinciguerra
          • ... Marcos - Mgiga
          • ... Ole Troan
            • ... Paul Vinciguerra
              • ... Ole Troan
                • ... Paul Vinciguerra
          • ... Ole Troan
            • ... Vratko Polak -X (vrpolak - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco) via lists.fd.io