> Yes, allowing dynamic heap growth sounds like it could be better.
> Alternatively... if memory allocations could fail and something more
> graceful than VPP exiting could occur, that may also be better. E.g. if
> I'm adding a route and try to allocate a counter for it and that fails, it
> would be better to refuse to add the route than to exit and take the
> network down.
>
> I realize that neither of those options is easy to do btw. I'm just trying
> to figure out how to make it easier and more forgiving for users to set up
> their configuration without making them learn about various memory
> parameters.

Understood, but setting a very high default will just make users of smaller
config puzzled too 😊 and I think changing all memory allocation callsites to
check for NULL would be a big paradigm change in VPP.
That's why I think a dynamically growing heap might be better but I do not
really know what would be the complexity.
That said, you can probably change the default in your own build and that
should work.

Best
ben