I have been thinking about how best to script a 3d story. I have for some
time enjoyed reading scripts and have often thought how writing 3d story
would differ from writing a standard film script.

I started writing a story a couple of years ago with the intention of
making it as a work of VR Fiction (gotta find a less clumsy name than
that). I began writing it as if it was a short story. That kinda worked,
but it is hard to keep in the mode of writing it for VR; I found it too
easy to drift back into normal writing habits, like mentioning what is
going on in someone's head, and you can't show people's thoughts in VR
easily. So I figured I need to adopt some format that keeps me restricted
to what can be shown in VR. I am rewriting it as if I was writing a film
script. The problem is that VR is different to film, even though this is a
pretty standard film-like story with a ghostly, non-interactive viewer. (We
need a name for that too.)

Actually, writing it as a script seems to be working fairly well so far...

I doubt anyone else has come up with any ways to write for VR Fiction... it
is too early yet... but does anybody have any ideas that can help? Even
with a fairly standard linear non-interactive format. (We really do need
names for this stuff.)

I guess ways to do this will just happen as people actually create it.

Of course the really hard stuff is the interactive, non-linear formats. Do
you have any way of approaching this stuff Paul? Or do you just do it as it
occurs to you in a meandering fashion? (That is how I do many of my
drawings... and many of my stories too.) [sigh]

Cheers,

        - Miriam