On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, Mike Tierney wrote:

As much as I like Vservers (we use them on 2 of our Production servers!!) it looks like the Xen project (open source virtual machine software) IS getting LOTS of media coverage and attention/resources from vendors (Novell, IBM, Sun, HP, Redhat, etc).

This is called PR. If you read this, you'll have a better idea of what's going on here:

http://www.pycon.org/data/95/pycon-20050325-1-0900-95-ike.mp3

Xen was funded by commercial research money (from Microsoft and Intel IIRC) with the intent of turning it into a commercial venture, which is what Xensource is. All this "buzz" is to a large degree artificially generated to support the venture.

Apparently the current version (v2) isn't that great but the next version (due out in August) sounds like a huge leap forward.

And longhorn will just totally kick ass, so I heard! :-)

Grisha