On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 03:00:10PM +0200, jmp wrote:
> hi everyone,
>
> I'v got an urgent problem with a vserver .
> This vserver uses tomcat and the web application failed
> some times. (in fact a lots of times when the user is connecting)
> I made a ptrace on the process and I can see that there is SIGXCPU
> invoked with CPU TIME Limit exceeded.

well, although I have to admit that it very much looks
like this is a vserver limit, I am relatively sure that
it is not. I suspect that tomcat or apache applies some
time limit via this mechanism, effectively limiting the
execution time to some reasonable amount

http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man2/setrlimit.2.html

> rt_sigsuspend(~[INT QUIT ABRT BUS SEGV TERM XCPU RTMIN RT_1]) = ?
> ERESTARTNOHAND (To be restarted)
> --- SIGXCPU (CPU time limit exceeded) @ 0 (0) ---
> sigreturn()                             = ? (mask now ~[INT QUIT ABRT
> BUS KILL SEGV TERM STOP RTMIN])
> sigreturn()                             = ? (mask now [CHLD])
> accept(127, 0xbff5e448, [28])           = ? ERESTARTSYS (To be restarted)
> --- SIGPWR (Power failure) @ 0 (0) ---
> futex(0x19b7b20, FUTEX_WAKE, 1)         = 1
>

> I did not configure any cpu limits.
> How can I increase CPU limits  on  this vserver ?
> How can I see the cpu limits ?
>
> I try :
> vlimit -c 346 -H --cpu 30
> vc_set_rlimit(): Invalid argument
> vlimit -c 346 --cpu 30
> vc_set_rlimit(): Invalid argument

as you can see, we decided not to implement this limit
on a per guest basis, because IMHO it doesn't make too
much sense to give the entire guest 30 seconds CPU time
and then kill it off ...

nevertheless, ulimits of this type are supported and
will effect each task independantly, but as I said, I'm
relatively sure that this is not the case ...

HTH,
Herbert

> vlimit -c 346 -a
> RSS         N/A                 N/A                 inf
> NPROC       N/A                 N/A                 inf
> NOFILE      N/A                 N/A                 inf
> MEMLOCK     N/A                 N/A                 inf
> AS          N/A                 N/A                 inf
> vc_get_rlimit(): Invalid argument

PS: this might be worth inspecting on our side, which
    kernel and patch version is it?