Fareha Shafique wrote:
Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

Fareha Shafique wrote:

Hi,

When I stop the vserver I get the following:
Stopping sshd:                                             [FAILED]
Shutting down kernel logger:                      [FAILED]
Shutting down system logger:                     [  OK  ]
Starting killall:  Stopping sshd:                    [FAILED]
[FAILED]

I'm not sure why I this happens. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm trying to catch up on several months worth of messages (from the latest to earlier ) and can't remember if I saw an answer to this. FWIW I just ran into the same issue and it has to do with sshd failing start to in your guest server. Typically becuase the IP address is already in use somewhere else. ( The host server? ). Check the settings in sshd_config for the host and all the guest servers. Make sure the ListenAddress is set to/for the correct IP address/server combination.

Thanks for the reply. I have ssh working fine now. The kernel logger however always fails to start and hence fails to stop

Sorry I forgot about that. Typically this comes from Redhat-ian systems. Syslogd and klogd are started and stopped from 'inside' the same script.

   /etc/rc.d/init.d/syslog

Edit the file and comment out any lines that mention klogd.

In the Fedora Core 5 install I'm looking at there are these lines.

18: [ -f /sbin/klogd ] || exit 0

25:         KLOGD_OPTIONS="-2"

40:         echo -n $"Starting kernel logger: "
41:         daemon klogd $KLOGD_OPTIONS
42:         echo

47:         echo -n $"Shutting down kernel logger: "
48:         killproc klogd
49:         echo

59:         status klogd

79:     RETVAL=1
80:     echo -n "Reloading klogd..."
81:     klog=`cat /var/run/klogd.pid 2>/dev/null`
82:     if [ -n ${klog} ] && [ -e /proc/${klog} ]; then
83:         kill -USR2 $klog;
84:         RETVAL=$?
85:     fi
86:     if [ $RETVAL -ne 0 ]; then