Daniel Hokka Zakrisson wrote:
Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
Thanks to all for your help and suggestions on copying Vserver guests.
So far it has worked quite well.

I'm now on to newer things which brings me to the "question."  What
distribution should I use for the Host?

With Daniel's excellent repository(s) I have been using Fedora Core 5.
I has been very stable and makes any work in the host easy.  And then
the guests get FC5 which with vyum makes them very easy to to
maintain/enhance.
    But I just went through a repository hell trying to update the host.
  Not sure what was going on but I suspect that with FC5 at end-of-life
this will happen more often.

"Repository hell"? Meaning what, exactly?

I was checking for updates "yum check-update" and got md5sum failure for twenty plus "extras" repositories before I walked off to do something else. Came back so 10 minutes or more later and the check was done.

So the big question is which (preferably YUM-able) distribution should I
use for the host?  I'm currently thinking CentOS 5 as it has an
end-of-life in about 5 years.  I hope to be retired by then. :-)  Plus I
believe I read that it is actually supported in Daniel's repository.

Unfortunately not, I haven't had enough round tuits lately, but you can
use the FC6 kernel RPM (though that is not as updated as I'd like it to
be, Fedora no longer updates the public tree) for now.

Year I know about that. I've been trying to figure out a way to counterfeit or steal them. No luck so far.

   And does it make sense to use an _older_ distribution in the guests
that don't change much?

Sounds like the definition of an "enterprise"-distro, so CentOS should be
fine there too...

Well I was thinking of the Fedora series. But I'm liking CentOD more and more.

Rod