There's nothing special about routing VPN packets from the view of the
Vyatta router.
You can see the traffic that the Vyatta is seeing using the integrated
packet sniffer.
While logged in as the root user, run
tshark -n -i <interface>
to see the packets.  For full packet detail, add -V.

Best,
Justin