It's just the order they were initially discovered by the system, and
it can vary.
It's also one of the reasons there's the hw-id parameter in the
interfaces section -
that way the interface your prefer is locked to an interface name.  If
you want to
change the order, change the hw-id entry, either through the
configuration commands,
or edit config.boot directly (I prefer the latter to cut and paste) and reboot.

Justin