Wow Lots of good responses in a hurry.

Thank you.

First, I have many systems and when somebody attacks, I want to close the
network off to that IP, not just a single machine.  That implies that I can
not use IPTABLES directly.  Though I did give thought to adding that type of
rule to all systems.  It turns out that is not a good choice because some of
my systems are not Linux.

Using Zenoss command, I have no problem parsing the actual syslog message
and converting that to a source IP address.

So, I'm now in the position that a script is running under vbash on the
OFR.  I guess that I was looking for was more in line with the CLI commands
within the script to actual effect the firewalling.

I.e.
configure
set firewall ....
commit
exit

Under the webgui of VC3 I remember that there was a way to make a list of
addresses to add to a firewall rule, I've not found that under VC4.

Sorry if this is a bit disjoint.

Best,
-Chris