Thanks for the pointer to /etc/init.d/vyatta-ofr and /etc/default/vyatta.

What I would likely do is have a config file that has the equivalent of a
"#include" which tries a sequence of locations.

/mnt/usb/config/config.boot, /mnt/flash/config/config.boot,
/mnt/floppy/config/config.boot,/opt/vyatta/etc/config/config.boot

By adding a simple "Done" or just having the config files overwrite each
other in reasonable ways, we end up with a live CDROM that can boot on any
machine yet find a configuration file.

I'm actually going to have to look into a diskless version of Vyatta at some
point.

Thanks again for the pointers.

Best, -Chris