Daniel,

If you're able to use the glendale alpha (i.e. VC4.0.0) it does have
support for adding an IP address on the bridge interface and it also
supports ECMP which might be an option for your dual links.  I wrote a
quick howto for ECMP on the new forum at:
http://www.vyatta.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20

stig

The
> cluster resources are one public VIP, and one private VIP. I am
> excluding the rest of the network architecture to focus in on the links
> between the two Vyatta boxes and the edge (logical) switch. Our network
> design requirements document stated we wanted to have no single point of
> failure in our network backbone. To meet this goal, we have 2 ISP drops
> with 2 cables per drop (spanning-tree used to select designated cable on
> each drop) to our edge switch stack; one cable from each drop is
connected
> to each
> switch (think "connected to each blade") so if an edge switch in the
stack
> dies (or "if a blade in the chassis dies") traffic can still run
> through the surviving edge switch ("blade"). As mentioned, we also have
> two Vyatta boxes clustered. The only part of this that I can't figure
> out how to make redundant is the gigabit network cable between each
Vyatta
> box and the edge switch stack (named link1-1, link1-2, and link2-1,
link2-
> 2
> below). I am hoping to hear some suggestions on how this might be
achieved
> within our architecture. So far I have considered port-channeling
> and spanning-tree, but neither of these appear to be a solution in this
> case. Here is an ASCII drawing of this description:
>

> ISP-drop1-1---->|---------|
> ISP-drop1-2---->|edge-sw-1|<----link2-1------------
>                 |         |<----link2-2--------   |
>                 |---------|                   |   |
>  -----link1-1-->|         |<----ISP-drop2-1   |   |
>  |    -link1-2->|edge-sw-2|<----ISP-drop2-2   |   |
>  |    |         |---------|                   |   |
> | vyatta-1 |   | vyatta-2 |
>

> I realize the link1 and link2 can be done with one cable from each
Vyatta