Friends, Boulderites, Countryfolk, your ears!

I'm selling my domain Vote.org after 12 years. Our proposals for better and national ballot initiatives is just too far ahead of its time. Some nonprofit like Vote-smart.org or some forward looking party or politician should develop its enormous potential now.

My friend and domain-trader Eric Shannon has written this sales pitch, which we ask you to forward to forward-looking folks you know who might see its value: You can also help us by "digging" it as an important story at: http://digg.com/search?section=news&s=vote.org (click where it says "Digg" under the number who've already "dugg" it. Digg is a good place to see what people are saying.)

http://www.internetinc.com/vote-org-for-sale (this has all the live links you can't see below)

Vote.org For Sale, Buyer To Influence World Superpower

The Root of Power

The USA has by far the largest economy in the world and the mightiest military. We are truly the world.s only superpower. This is why enormous sums of money are spent campaigning for the vote . the stakes are high and the vote determines where our massive money and power flow. And winning the vote has become ever more expensive as media fractures further and further. The price of admission to the game has risen so precipitously that money is now a dominating factor in presidential politics.

How do you get the money out of this equation? By looking at how we decide who to vote for and where we go for trustworthy voting information. The problem is that we learn and decide predominantly through advertising supported media which is privately owned, splintered and has a low attention span. not a good mechanism for distributing information or generating trust.

But there is a powerful yet undeveloped tool at our disposal that has inherently high trust and unlimited distribution potential . truly the best focal point for presidential politics in existence.

Just Type It!

This extraordinarily overlooked place is Vote.org. Consider that thousands of voters just type it in, not knowing what.s there! Traffic increased 50-100 times before and during the 2000 and 2004 elections. Type it in now, and you will see this domain is actually for sale.

But what are the average type-in visitors looking for at Vote.org? I know because I've seen the traffic logs . They're looking for information about where to vote and who to vote for. Surprised?

Why do they come to Vote.org? Well, it's just common sense . type homes.com or cars.com into your browser. you're going to find what you're looking for. Just as corporations have invested billions in promoting the .com extension, so too have nonprofits educated us to use .org. Type children.org, nature.org, or wildlife.org to see what I mean.

Inherent Authority

Why do voters instinctively trust vote.org to provide voting information? The answer comes from Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind by Al Ries and Jack Trout one of the best business books ever written:

"The worst thing, and I see it over and over," said Mr. Funt, "is how easily people can be led by one kind of authority or even the most minimal signs of authority. We put up a sign on the road, Delaware Closed Today," reported Mr. Funt. "Motorists didn't question it. Instead they asked, 'Is Jersey open?'"

And this is what makes Vote.org one of the most important but neglected websites in the world: inherent authority.

Democracy For Sale

Guess who owns vote.org. Would you believe me if I told you a tight-rope walker (also long-time activist from Boulder, CO and family friend) owns it? No joke. It's true.

Shouldn.t some non-partisan entity like VoteSmart or FactCheck develop Vote.org? You bet! How would you feel if the political party you hate developed Vote.org instead? Or worse still, how about President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad?

How Can It Be?

So how is it possible that a website with real influence over the most powerful and richest country in the world is up for sale to the highest bidder? Three reasons:

* Only a few thousand people in the world understand domains well. Most don.t know that people search by guessing domains and typing them directly in the browser's navigation bar. this is still highly specialized knowledge. Many of the early visionaries and keepers of these secrets have become very wealthy but are not interested in Vote.org because it has little commercial potential. Vote.org is only available now because no one has thought to compare the political marketing costs and response rates of television, radio and direct mail with Vote.org's type-in traffic.

* Only someone with an agenda can afford vote.org. The owner will entertain offers over $250,000. Sound like a lot of money to you? It.s not. This is the price of an old 3 bed condo where I live in South Florida. To the right is a picture of what you get for $250,000 (in Tamarac) . unit 3. But, most non-partisan groups, by definition, can.t scrape together this meager sum.

* Domains are a lot like real estate. But financing a domain purchase is not as easy as financing the condo in the picture. When financing options improve, it will be common to spend as much on a domain as we do on office or retail space and the market will be so liquid that no one will have a chance to write about any particular domain - they'll sell quietly and quickly.

History In The Making

So, this is a chance for someone with a little vision of the future to make history -- once a domain of this unique caliber is sold, it won.t become available again in our lifetime. From elite domain expert, Frank Schilling, comes this gem:

Clay Shirky an adjunct professor in the graduate interactive telecommunications program at New York University said it best: "We are living through the largest expansion of expressive capability in the history of the human race." Domain names are the great facilitator of that expansion... nothing happens on the internet without a domain name.. nothing.

And this brings me to my final point.

"If you believe in what you are doing, and have money in the bank, there is no reason to use a bad domain name. It is like writing nameless." -Aaron Wall

National Treasure

Fundamentally, Vote.org is a national treasure. It deserves a non-partisan home. It should serve a good cause, a higher cause. So, if you see what I see and you know someone with the resources who might want to give Vote.org the special home it deserves, please forward this page. Or, if you are that person, please contact me soon, before vote.org goes to public auction!

If nothing else, please help with a digg.  Thanks!

                   http://Vote.org
         Taking the "mock" out of democracy!
   Evan Ravitz, founder (303)440-6838 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Fool's gold exists because there is real gold." -Rumi
also: http://Vote.org/photos  http://Vote.org/paradise