On 27/09/2001 1:01 PM, "Calvin Conkey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I am looking into getting one of the new iMacs. I am trying to get
> the best value for money and am looking at the iMac 600mhz with CDRW.
> I was wondering why it only has 256k L2 cache? This seems too small
> for this kind of machine! Wouldn't this cause a "bottle-neck" in
> terms of the speed of the computer? I noticed that the 500mhz
> version has a 512k L2 cache, why is it higher than the 600mhz model?
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Cal

Hi Cal!

The reason that the 600Mhz has a smaller cache size is because the chip
architecture is improved. So the 600Mhz cache, even though it is 256K, runs
at 600Mhz. The base 500Mhz model has the older design, so it will run at
double the bus speed of the logic board. In this case, the cache speed is
200Mhz.

Therefore the 600Mhz machine is more efficient at handling data as it can
push the info through at a faster speed, rather than holding more in the
cache. (Maybe the tecchies in the group have a better explanation).

Also note that the 500Mhz CDRW model also has 256K cache. Only the base
model has the 512K cache!

Kindest regards

Rod!
--
AppleCentre Joondalup
10/7 Delage St

** Largest range of Mac games in Perth **