Firstly, the B&Ws used the IDE interface for the hard drives, not SCSI - IDE busses can only ever have two drives, a master and a slave. Compared to SCSI, it is a terribly nonscalable interface that was born in the overly price-competitive Wintel market to cut costs. I suppose IDE does a decent enough job these days, but no surprise that SCSI still dominates in all high-performance markets!

I haven't heard about the problems with a B&W not recognising a second IDE drive, but just in case you might want to check the 6 gig drive and make sure it's not in Cable Select mode because this will have it claim the whole IDE bus. It's a jumper setting, as Reg says you're best going to the website of the manufacturer to get a listing of jumper settings. That, or just use the 30 gig drive set as the Master with no 6 gig drive... it's only 6 gig after all ;)

And the other thing you can try, if you don't have an internal Zip drive, is to connect the second drive up (in Slave mode) to the available connector below your CD drive. This was always a great kludge to get a third drive in your G4, and the CD drive will definitely not be in CS mode.

Best of luck getting it to work!

-Ian