On Saturday, February 2, 2002, at 05:56 PM, Peter McGrath wrote:

> Someone told me the other day that OS X includes a universal driver for 
> many
> printers and other devices. Would this work with my Canon BJC 3000 
> printer?
> I'd be quite interested in the answer as the lack of a OS X driver for 
> my
> printer is the only thing stopping me from upgrading to OS X.
>
>

Sorry, there's no good news here. There is no support for the BJC 3000 
in MacOS X. There is for its close successor, the S400, however. The 
annoying thing is that Print Center reports the existence of the BJC 
3000 in the USB port, but says it's unsupported. The story has been 
bandied about by distributors and Canon themselves in the past that once 
all the old ink cartridges in a BJC 3000 have been replaced with the 
newer S400 ink cartridges, the driver would recognise the BJC 3000 as an 
S400. This has not worked in my experience in either MacOS X or MacOS 
9.x. I have even downloaded the MacOS 9.x S400 Driver specifically and 
installed it. It does not see the printer at all. I have not seen any 
documentation on Canon's site to support the story which has circulated 
locally.

OTOH, the BJC 3000 _is_ supported in Classic, so if you are running a 
Classic app you can print just fine. Is actually works well enough for 
me at the moment that I am still able to resist the pressure to buy a 
new printer (it also helps that I have a LaserWriter in my network as 
well, which works fine from X). As more of my apps move to X, though, 
this will become more and more difficult.

--
Peter Hinchliffe
Apwin Computer Services FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, ::::::::::::::::::::::::
Western Australia Phone (618) 9332 6482 Fax (618) 9332 0913
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Mac because I prefer it -- Windows because I have to.


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]