Hi,

Does anyone out there know under what circumstances the Mac will choose to boot off a disk other than the one that has been designated as the startup disk?

I've recently added a SCSI external disk to my 9600 PPC. This disk has a bootable partition [OS8.6] that has worked just fine with my Mac5500, but when I designate it as the startup disk on the 9600 it doesn't work at all - the machine simply boots from one of the internal disks (the one it previously booted from [OS8.1]).

Apple System Profiler reports that the external disk is the startup device, but that the internal drive is the active system disk. I can see the external drive with no problem, it doesn't have a SCSI id conflict, and both partitions are mounted and accessible. I get no error message, but there is no indication that the machine even attempts to boot off the drive (no lights flicker) - it just seems to ignore the startup instructions.

The Startup Disk control panel does appear to work - I can reset the startup device to another bootable internal drive [also OS8.1] and have that work.

This isn't my machine - it is on loan, and not to be played around with. So....I want to be able to set up everything I need to use it, including the system, on the external drive, and keep off the owners internal drives.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Kaye
--
----