Thanks to all who have taken the time to drop me a line and report their experience with running OSX on machines < 333MHz. I have to say that the response to date has been fairly equivocal in terms of positive vs negative performance evaluations. Just to help my decision, I wonder whether someone would mind commenting on the following -
Before posting my initial request for feedback, I tried dropping my 10G OS X-only hard drive from my Pismo 500 Mhz into the 233MhZ Wallstreet (256Mhz) I am considering upgrading. The result: well, system performance was rather sluggish - perhaps even to the point where I would probably consider not upgrading the machine. Is such a method of "hot-swapping" the hard drives likely to provide an accurate assessment of system performance? From what I can tell, there are no firmware upgrades required for this machine before installing OS X. Are there other issues associated with the disk swap which may be impacting on the speed? (NB The extent of my speed appraisal involved tinkering around in Finder and running MS Word for OS X.) Thanks, Matt. ---------------------------------------- Matt Huitson Dept. of Psychology University of Western Australia Nedlands, WA 6097 Western Australia work: 61 89 380 3639 mob: 0414 294 770 On Saturday, April 6, 2002, at 09:55 AM, Matt Huitson wrote: > Hi all, > I'd appreciate some feedback from anyone currently running (or with > prior experience of running) OS X on a G3 233 Mhz processor. Just a > brief word or two on general speed of system would suffice. Additional > comments on how MS Office X performs would be a bonus. Happy for them > to be sent direct to me if you prefer. > > TIA, > Matt. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

