I use a SONY DCR-TRV20E camcorder for producing movie footage to be edited in iMovie. Material that I have filmed transfers into iMovie with brightness preserved. Material recorded into the camcorder from VCR plays back with correct brightness in the camera but when transferred to iMovie it is very much darkened. This can be recovered in some measure using the "Brightness" effect or a still, frame grabbed, can be restored using Photoshop. In this case the "Levels" histogram is pushed about halfway across to the black. Picking up the end of the histogram and restoring it to white and setting gamma to about 2.3 brings back the picture. I can find no setting to adjust this and presume there must be some inbuilt setting in video recorded off air which causes the darkening. Can anyone out there please explain this and suggest a fix. The SONY camcorder book is silent on this.
TIA

Severin Crisp
--
__________________________________________________________________
Assoc Professor R Severin Crisp, FIP, CPhys, FAIP

15 Thomas St, Mount Clarence, Albany, 6330, Western Australia.
Phone (08) 9842 1950 (Int'l +61 8 9842 1950)
Fax (08) 9842 9650 (Int'l +61 8 9842 9650)
email mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web pages http://www.albanyis.com.au/~sev/
__________________________________________________________________