Hi All,

I'm getting a bit desperate so I thought I'd check with the list and see if
I'm not alone.

Using Mac OS X 10.1.5 (although the problem may have occurred in 10.1.4 as
well).
iMac flat-panel 800MHz
Harman/Kardon SoundSticks (USB)
Apple ProLogic "ball" speakers (speaker jack)

Whenever I startup Mac OS X the startup chime is at maximum, and coming
through the Apple ProLogic speakers is quite deafening! I've tried setting
the volume to a reasonable level, but on restart the startup chime is still
maximal.

I've read the various reports about setting the volume when booted in Mac OS
9, and its true: on restart into Mac OS X the startup chime is quiet.
However, a subsequent reboot into Mac OS X and the startup chime is maximal
again. It seems like shutting down in Mac OS X resets the startup chime to
full volume.

Any suggestions? I've wiped my hard-drive and reinstalled 10.1.5 from
scratch once already, and the problem returned.

Cheers,
Brian