On Mon, 2002-06-17 at 19:48, James Anderson wrote:
> hi,
> a question for those who have some understanding of networks
> we have a small home network and are considering broadband with iinet
> since it is actually cheaper per month when you take into account the
> dedicated fax/modem line rental and call charges etc.

Funny isn't it. Please note that you will require at least one line
rental, since the line still needs to come to your house.

> only catch is it seems we willl have to fork out $439 for a router
> modem, if we want to let all 3 computers in the house use the net at
> once.

Read on...

> we have a four port hub, couldn't we just plug one of the cheaper
> ($249 !!!) modems into one of the hub spots? and then set up our
> tcp/ip connections appropriately.

I'm trying to remember, but I think this is possible, however, *all*
your computers on the local network will be exposed to the full force of
the Internet, and *I'm guessing*, you'll need to have an IP number for
each machine. And one needs to be on all the time to provide the
connection, since I recall that iiNet no longer supplies a connection
without PPPoE.

However, I'm sure that you can get a 4 port ADSL modem from iiNet, the
Alcatel SpeedTouch Pro has a hub built in. (As opposed to the SpeedTouch
Home, which just has a line and an ethernet connector.)

> or could we make it so the modem connects to one computer and the net
> connection is passed on by software such as IPNetshare / IPNetRouter
> as it currently does with dial up internet. The problem I see with
> this is that the ethernet port is taken up by the ADSL modem, so is
> there any way through the network or double adapters of some sort we
> could do this?

Yes you could. You could put two network cards in your "connection
computer". Then set the machine up as a gateway. It would then also act
as a firewall.

If your machine is a MacOS X box or a Linux box, then this should be
relatively simple to setup. If not, then the multi-port modem is a
better option in my opinion.

Please also note that when you switch off the connection computer, all
Internet connectivity goes away. With the multi-port modem, this is not
the case - much simpler.

> preferably in a way which is cheaper than buying a router modem.

Please be aware that your statement "cheaper than buying a router modem"
is misleading at best, since the costs you incur by physically
purchasing the multi-port modem will quickly be overtaken by the hidden
costs associated with configuring any other solution. Your experience
will likely be better, the internet connection simpler to understand for
the members of your family, and easier to fix when its broken.

Just becasue the box says it's more expensive (eg. there is a price tag
attached), doesn't mean it is in the long run. Get the members of your
family to save for your connection - you'll find it worth the effort in
my opinion.

--
()/)/)() ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>? ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. --- ..Morse for Onno..

ITmaze - ABN: 56 178 057 063 - ph: 04 1219 8888 -
[EMAIL PROTECTED]