On Monday, July 8, 2002, at 09:28 , Stephen Chape wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good Genealogy Application (Family Tree stuff) that
is native to OSX ?

I already have some very old software that I want to replace.
I use an iMac 266 with OSX 10.1.5

VersionTracker.com gives (upon searching for 'genealogy')

GEDitCOM 3.11 - genealogy software to view & create standard .GED files 1.1M Shareware 04/08/2002
GenerationX 2.0b2 - Simple genealogy tool 320k Freeware 07/04/2002
LifeLines 3.0.16r1 - 2nd generation command-line genealogy software 2.7M Freeware 06/18/2002
MacFamilyTree 3.0.4 - Genealogy software 1.8M Shareware 06/16/2002

However I've been using Reunion <http://www.leisterpro.com/> for a while now and I think it's great. I highly recommend it. Many people agree it's the best genealogy software for the Mac and some say even on all platforms. I've not done a lot of comparison myself though.

It's not OSX native yet but they're working on it. A "knock-your-socks-off" upgrade is promised. Frustratingly it's one of the two main programs I use that are not native yet. It's works fine in classic mode though.

Support is good and they have a good email support/discussion list.

$208 from the Aus distributer <http://www.blackfire.com.au/>

It produces reasonably good web page output from your database and an example of this can be seen on my web page.

PS: Has anyone heard how Virex is coming along as native OSX ?

I don't use virex on OSX but versiontracker says version 7 was released for OSX in Sep 2001 with the latest definitions file updated in June 2002.

regards
woz

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Warren Jones http://homepage.mac.com/warrenj/
Parkwood, Western Australia