On Sunday, July 14, 2002, at 01:47 AM, Karen wrote:

>
> I accidently trashed some Appleworks 6 files and I recovered heaps of 
> files
> and stuff back using Nortons 6. I am trying to open the Appleworks 
> files
> but they will not open or insert into new docs in Appleworks saying 
> they may
> be damaged or corrupt. How can I recover or open any of the text in 
> these
> files? The files now end with .rsrc. I thought of installing 
> Appleworks 5
> again to see if that may open them, and Office 2001 does show me text in
> some of the files. Is this the best I can get or is there something out
> their that may actually repair the file itself..
>
>

You could try CanOpener (available via the MacOS section of 
VersionTracker). It won't repair the files, but it will allow you to 
extract as much readable text as possible from them. Bear in mind that 
this is really only useful for files which contain humanly-readable 
material in the first place, such as WP files. It may even recover 
graphics if they are still intact. It's less successful for tabular data 
such as spreadsheets and databases. You might even see the data itself, 
but the task of reconstructing it might to too heavy to contemplate.

Of course, nothing beats a decent backup :-)

--
Peter Hinchliffe
Apwin Computer Services FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, ::::::::::::::::::::::::
Western Australia Phone (618) 9332 6482 Fax (618) 9332 0913
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Mac because I prefer it -- Windows because I have to.


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]