*Selected editing of two previous posts
My problem: the PPP system preference which should allow my
modem connection to remain active between logouts does not appear to
be
working.
From Andrew:
There appear to be some problems with recent G4 Mac internal modems
(including the iMac flat screen), and also (separate from the first
issue) problems with Telstra in particular under Mac OS X prior to
10.2.
Yep I found the Apple KB reference to this, but I failed to find any
specific reference to G3 models such as my iMac or Pismo. Perhaps in
10.2 it is a new problem. I'd be interested to hear from anyone with a
similar setup who can confirm or refute such behaviour.
From Shay:
So you're saying that the "Disconnect when user logs out" in the PPP
options window is *un*checked?
Yep. No amount of checking and unchecking appears to rectify the
problem.
I get a previously unseen error message (thoughtfully replicated in
about 6
different languages) informing me that I must restart my computer
immediately.
Use the Console utility to check to see if there's anything obvious
in there, or check out the file /Library/Logs/panic.log which should
provide some info.
Nothing unusual in the Console logs of either machine that I could see.
The panic log on the Pismo had the following (Please let me know if
this suggests a possible solution, as I lack the skills to interpret
such info):
panic(cpu 0): We can't get a mutex interlock lock on mutex_lock
Latest stack backtrace for cpu 0:
Backtrace:
0x0008593C 0x00085D6C 0x00028B8C 0x0008D58C 0x11C7A6D8
0x11C76564 0x11C75AB4 0x11C6BE1C
0x11C6B4E4 0x11C6A2F8 0x000BCC64 0x001CE9E0 0x001CEAE0
0x00203A1C 0x00092830 0x00410041
Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):
com.apple.driver.AppleSCCSerial(1.2.3)@0x11c72000
dependency:
com.apple.iokit.IOSerialFamily(6.0.1d19)@0x11c67000
com.apple.iokit.IOSerialFamily(6.0.1d19)@0x11c67000
Proceeding back via exception chain:
Exception state (sv=0x11C27000)
PC=0x9000B6AC; MSR=0x0000D030; DAR=0x11D253CD; DSISR=0x42000000;
LR=0x0000628C; R1=0xBFFFF5B0; XCP=0x00000030
(0xC00 - System call)
Thanks, Matt
------------------------------------
Matt Huitson
Dept of Psychology
University of Western Australia
Nedlands, WA 6009
Work: +61 89380 3639
Mobile: 0414 294 770