Hi,

Here we are with a new eMac, metres of cable, an ethernet hub, and a brand new network.

Networking works just fine from the eMac to the Mac5500 (running OS8.6) and the PC - the eMac can mount all the disks made available to it, run software from the 5500, and shunt files around the system with ease.

Unfortunately, we haven't been able to get the Mac5500 or the PC to mount the eMac's disks - this seems to be a one-way network!

On the Mac5500 I have created an alternative TCP/IP configuration (using Appletalk, which is configured to be on Ethernet). On the Chooser, when I select Appleshare I can see the eMac - so far so good.

Double-click on the eMac, and I get a login screen. If I try to log in using our (only) username/password I get the message:

"The connection to this server has been unexpectedly broken"

Same message if I try to connect as guest.

On the PC it is a similar story - we can see the eMac, but when we try to open a connection it fails with a password error.

So...is there something that we should have done on the eMac end to allow access from the other systems? Should there be a user login just for network access, for example?

On the same topic, if we drag-and-drop folders from the eMac onto the PC we are getting intermittent failures, where the system reports that it can't find the files that it is meant to be copying. Repeat the copy, or copy one-by-one and the files that previously failed to copy now work. This only happens between the Mac and the PC - Mac-to-Mac copies are perfect. Since we want to back up the Mac to the PC this could be a real hassle. Any ideas?

As always - any help will be greatly appreciated.

Kaye and Geoff
--
----
Kaye Stott & Geoff Prince