> -----Original Message-----
> From: WAMUG Mailing List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Mark
> Secker
> Sent: Monday, 29 September 2003 10:56 AM
> To: WAMUG Mailing List
> Subject: PowerBook & SVGA Monitor switch box
> 
> 
> I've been trying to set up my G4 Powerbook to share an external 21" 
> CRT monitor with my desktops.
> 
> I have a 4 way passive monitor switch box that works with my 2 Wintel 
> boxes and my desktop Mac and I've used this in the past with my old 
> G3 Powerbook. However with the DVI output on my G4 (obviously going 
> through the SVGA adaptor...) results in the PowerBook not detecting 
> the external screen (automatically or manually).
> 
> Have tried the following ways to connect/switch with out joy:
> Hot switch (Monitor on Wintel box then switch to Powerbook)
> Monitor switch box switched to powerbook+monitor then turn on monitor 
> then PowerBook
> Using short shielded (under one meter) monitor cables between both 
> the Powerbook to switch box and between the switch box to the monitor 
> and repeat above.
> 
> Given the the G4 PowerBook allows hot swapping of external monitors 
> and  I have used this Powerbook/screen combo with an unshielded 3 
> meter monitor cable successfully AND looking at/multimetering the 
> internals of the switch box I can see/detect no lose/bad connections 
> I'm at a bit of a loss to think of a reason for this failing to work 
> except if it's in the way the DVI to SVGA adaptor works?.
> 
> Any ideas?

Have you tried the DVI to SVGA adaptor and monitor without the switch box ?

Regards,

Kat.
---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.521 / Virus Database: 319 - Release Date: 23/09/2003