Here's a cool feature in Panther I didn't know about: it's called "Adaptive Hot File Clustering", and is turned on by default. Here's a short description:

-----
In general, it works like this: over a period of 60 hours, the file system keeps track of files that are read frequently (for a file to be considered as a hot-file, it must be less than 10MB and never written to). At the end of this period, the "hottest" files (i.e.. the files that have been read the most times) are moved to the ‘hotband’ of the disk (which is that part of the disk which is particularly fast given the physical characteristics of the disk).

The size of the ‘hotband’ will depend on the size of the disk (i.e.. 5MB of hotband space for each GB of disk). ‘Cold’ files that were in the hotband will be moved out of the hotband to make room for the hot files. As a side effect of being moved into the hotband, the hot files are defragmented.

Currently, Adaptive Hot File Clustering only works on the boot volume, and only for Journaled HFS+ volumes that are more than 10GB.”
-----

To read the full article, go to

<http://www.apple-x.net/modules.php? op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=666&mode=thread&order=1&thold=0>

--
Peter Hinchliffe
Apwin Computer Services            FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer