David,

I have just spent ten days tearing my hair out over a similar problem. After
nearly two years of crash free OSX computing, I was seeing the "grey veil of
doom" every ten minutes or so. I couldn't get any work done at all. I tried
disk utility, trashing preferences, setting up a new dummy user account,
doing a clean reinstall (of Panther), all to no avail.

While I was in at Artref, I explained the problem to their techie (Joel I
think), who said it sounded like a memory problem. I immediately purchased a
new (larger) RAM module, and replaced the "bargain priced" generic RAM
module I installed a few months ago.

Three days on (and vigorously touching wood!) my Quicksilver G4 is purring
with Panther. Not even a twitch.. Even seems faster with the larger RAM!

Thanks Artref.

If you have added any RAM to your PowerBook, try removing it (and checking
the seating of the remainder) to see if the problem disappears.

HTH
John

on 9/1/04 11:31 AM, David Hudleston at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> My PowerBook G4 (OSX 10.2.8) has suddenly started freezing in Classic
> startup displaying a grey screen with the message "You need to restart
> your computer etc" in 4 languages.
> 
> I have been using OSX for nearly 12 months and this is the first time
> this has appeared.
> 
> Any ideas?
> 
> Regards
> David Hudleston
> 
> 
> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> Unsubscribe - <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> 
> WAMUG is powered by Stalker CommuniGatePro
> 

--  
John Winters
Phone +61 8 9367 9277
Fax   +61 8 9367 9244
[EMAIL PROTECTED]